Monday, October 15, 2007

Gift to be Simple

Its odd why I felt delighted this afternoon with just barely half an hour cleaning up the Level 12 pantry. As the SWAT chair, how can I not lead by example. Initially I thought it was silly to clean up while there were tons of more serious work to be done at my workstation. But as I started filling up the glass bottles with biscuits, I could see in my mind the happy faces on colleagues when they walk into the pantry and see it sparkling clean with biscuits all filled to the brim. I wanted people to be proud of entering into a special place that they could feel a personal touch. Someone who made it special just for them. That made me happy.

Sometimes, greatness is not in the acts of doing big things, but just the simple act of making someone else smile. I know that cos I know from the weary face of the cleaning uncles and aunties in food courts who I heard are only paid $2 per hour to clean the table. It doesn't take much to just do our small parts and always lend a "thank you" or a "xie xie" to show our appreciation. Sadly, these are the good folks that many take for granted.

I want to make the world a better place. It doesn't have to be a big move. Just start with a smile! :)